Tuesday, June 19, 2007

SGA lost scene #1

Andrew Spencer closes the door to interrogation room 2 behind him with a feeling of profound relief. Jane from the front desk is walking past, and he grabs her frantically. "You've got to get me out of this!"

"What's wrong?" she asks. "I thought you said you like kids. And you've only been in there for an hour."

"For all but five minutes of that hour, they've been playing a game."

"What's so bad about that? At least they aren't fighting or anything."

"It's a game where they guess which numbers are prime and which aren't."

"That doesn't sound so bad," she says. "Good use of their education, right?"

"You don't understand. The numbers they're using are mostly in the hundreds and thousands, and they're always right. The boy was wrong once, and she mocked him for five minutes. I am not kidding you about this. These kids scare me, but especially the girl and I'm not sure giving them caffeine is a good idea but I told them I was getting coffee and I'm too scared not to. They won't let us call their parents until four and there's no way I can last that long." He knows he must look insane, eyes wide with fear of these kids who play cutthroat number games at the drop of a hat and drink black, caffeinated coffee, but that's because he probably is going insane so he doesn't worry too much.

She looks at him with a concerned look on her face, because usually he isn't this excitable; he's easygoing and loves kids and she's never seen him this upset. "I'll see what I can do," she says. "In the meantime, why don't you take them their coffee? And maybe you can get them some Sprite, get them to drink something that's not caffeinated if you're so worried about the effects of caffeine on your sanity?"

"Thank you," he says with relief. "As long as I know the end is in sight…well, I'd better go get those drinks before they decide to come looking for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment