Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Detective's Exam

"You're going to take the detective's exam," Amy said.

"No I'm not," Dick replied reflexively.

"You are," she insisted. "We need detectives, and you're trained."

"I don't want to be a detective." Dick fidgeted.

"I don't care," she said. "You're going to take the test and do just as well as I know you can and become the best damn detective this department's ever had."

"Or?"

"When you got shot and were in the hospital, I got the phone numbers of everybody in your family."

"Bruce gave you his number?"

"Okay, it wasn't everybody. But my point is, I can call them up at any time and find out embarrassing things about you."

"They wouldn't do that to me." He sounded like he was trying to convince himself.

"I think they would. In fact, that's what Alfred encouraged me to do."

"I can't believe Alfred would do that to me," Dick said, shocked, but obviously he could, because he took the exam.

***

"Wow, Dick," Gannon said, amazed. "I didn't know you had it in you. Congratulations, Detective!"

"Thanks," Dick said glumly, looking down at his perfect test results.

No comments:

Post a Comment