Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Pushing

Jason doesn't work in Gotham. Actually, he doesn't work in any city with a resident superhero (and he seems to know what they all are, even the ones with C-list heroes who have only been operating for a week), but he's especially vehement about not working in Gotham. And who could blame him, really, with the Bat and all? Except Jason has some moves and could probably give Batman a run for his money even solo. Mostly she doesn't push because he's the best partner she's ever had.

Today isn't one of the days she doesn't push.

"Come on, Jason," she wheedles. "It's barely within the city limits. Batman won't even find out until Monday morning."

"Selina, I told you already that there are certain things I won't do no matter how high the take is," he says. "Inside Gotham city limits is one of them. Messing with anything of Bruce Wayne's is another."

"It's a museum," she says. "It has nothing to do with Wayne."

"That exhibit was donated by him," he replies.

"How do you know that?" she asks. "I don't see anything that says that." She pouts. "What's your deal with Wayne, anyway?"

"He was my foster father," Jason says, his glare challenging. "I saw the paintings around the Manor."

"Your foster father is a billionaire and you got into this business?" she laughs. "What's the matter, Daddy cut you off?"

"No," he says through gritted teeth. "I give most of my take to certain charities. As do you, might I remind you."

"How did you know that?" she asked, surprised. "Same way you know which cities have resident superheroes, I suppose."

"Exactly." He relaxes. "If you really want to go abstract, there's a traveling exhibit going through Cleveland." He tosses her a pamphlet.

"Tell me more," she purrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment